Fitting a Large Shirt to Fit Me

Yesterday, I walked in our local Hospice 5k in memory of my grandmother who passed away a few years ago (comfortably, as she was in Hospice care). I currently volunteer with our local Hospice so I was really happy to walk in the race, remember my grandmother, and support a wonderful organization.

I received a 5k shirt for remembering the event, and I really want to wear it through the summer; but, like many t-shirts I have had in the past, they are too long or too wide to feel fashionable (as fashionable as a basic t-shirt can be).

I found and love this tutorial about how to make a large t-shirt into a smaller t-shirt. I always enjoy learning something so simple and will be so useful in the future. I tried it with my Hospice 5k shirt and I think it turned out well. Check out the tutorial for step by step directions (all you need is a shirt that fits you perfectly, a pencil, and a sewing machine).


Shirt before
Trace a fitted shirt onto the larger shirt
Larger shirt after sewing the new seams
Shirt after :) I like it much better!

7 comments:

  1. I like it better too! I'm trying to get familiar with my sewing machine. Maybe I can do this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danni,

      This is such an easy project - give it a try. It only includes tracing and then sewing on that line. I rolled up the bottom of the shirt b/c I wanted it to be shorter, so that's an additional step if you want to do it.

      Let me know how it works out :)
      Alison
      lingeringliveaboard@gmail.com

      Delete
  2. I'll have to try this out, too! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice idea! So glad you linked to Things I've Done Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for linkin up to the party! Pinned it :)

    Looking forward to following your adventures!

    Kristine from TheFoleyFam - Unedited

    ReplyDelete
  5. We featured you today over at Rhinestone Beagle! Come check it out and grab a button.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank You for sharing. I'm usually a small so every giveaway shirt is huge on me ( last one was a men's XL) Now, if I learn to use my sewing machine, they can all fit. Yipee!

    ReplyDelete